Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Women's Shelter
Empowering women in crisis to create a better future.
Hornsby Ku-ring-gai Women’s Shelter exists to:
- Provide temporary supported accommodation for women in times of crisis, such as homelessness and /or domestic violence.
- Provide a safe non threatening environment for women that will assist them through their emotional and physical crisis.
- Inform and empower women to make active decisions about their lives and encourage them to seek alternatives and options using a participative management approach.
- Create an environment where women can share skills, ideas and information and with support from Shelter workers help each other to work through their skills.
- Provide services to all women who can self manage regardless of their age, sexuality, cultural and linguistic diversity or whether they have a disability or mental illness.
- Advocate on behalf of women experiencing Domestic Violence, ensuring they have access to resources and can live their life safe and free from fear.
- Liaise and co-ordinate services with other non-government organisations and community agencies.
- Raise awareness in government, other services and the community about homelessness and domestic violence and impact it has on women and their families.
- Engage in structural advocacy to improve service and legal response to women experiencing homelessness and domestic violence.